Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Review #7- Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith

*Goodreads Page*

Goodreads synopsis- Sixteen-year-old Austin Szerba interweaves the story of his Polish legacy with the storyof how he and his best friend , Robby, brought about the end of humanity and the rise of an army of unstoppable, six-foot tall praying mantises in small-town Iowa.

To make matters worse, Austin's hormones are totally oblivious; they don't care that the world is in utter chaos: Austin is in love with his girlfriend, Shann, but remains confused about his sexual orientation. He's stewing in a self-professed constant state of maximum horniness, directed at both Robby and Shann. Ultimately, it's up to Austin to save the world and propagate the species in this sci-fright journey of survival, sex, and the complex realities of the human condition.


I kept seeing booktubers hauling this book, and talking about how strange it sounded, and then a few booktubers reviewed this book, and I was like, "I HAVE TO HAVE IT!!!". So I bought it. I purchased Grasshopper Jungle on my Kindle, only because I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped to me. I wanted to read it immediately. All the reviews I read and saw said this book was really weird and strange, and weird and strange books are probably my favorite type of book. And oh man was this book weird.

Okay, so this book is told from 16 year old Austin's point of view. He is a self-proclaimed 'historian', and documents basically everything that happens in his life. He has notebooks full of his 'history', and Grasshopper Jungle is basically a history of the end of the world and how it came about and how he, his best friend Robby, and his girlfriend Shann are involved.

Let me just say that if you are opposed to reading books with quite a bit of swearing and sexual references, this book might not be for you. 

If you are okay with all of that, then please, please, please pick this book up. You won't regret it! I swear! It made me laugh, i broke my heart, and it referenced one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors (The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier), three things that alone make a book great, but when thrown in all at once, make a book freaking spectacular! I honestly haven't read another book like Grasshopper Jungle, and I feel like I'll be hard-pressed to find one like it. It's so unique and intriguing and just weird and I really can't urge you to read it enough. So go buy it. Now. :p

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment