Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Review #9- Virgin by Radhika Sanghani

*Goodreads Page*
*NetGalley Page* I received and read a proof copy of this book from NetGalley.

This book comes out August 5, 2014

Goodreads synopsis- Okay, I admit it…I didn’t do it.

Yet.

This is normal, right?  I mean, just because everyone I know has talked like they’ve already done it doesn’t mean that they’re telling the truth…right?

It’s not like I’m asking for that much. I don’t need the perfect guy. I don’t need candlelight or roses. Honestly, I don’t even need a real bed.

The guys I know complain that girls are always looking for Mr. Right—do I have to wear a sign that says I’m only looking for Mr. Right Now?

Sooooo…anyone out there want sex? Anyone? Hello? Just for fun?

I am not going to die a virgin. One way or another I am going to make this happen.

Hey, what have I got to lose? Besides the obvious.




I picked this book up after being in a reading slump, hoping to find a nice light read to bring me back into the mood to read, and let me tell you this book worked like a charm! It was so easy to get through, I read it in one sitting. I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud while reading this book! It was such a witty and relatable novel about a subject that many are unwilling to talk about. The way in which Ms. Sanghani wrote this book would make even the most squeamish of readers completely comfortable reading this book.

I think one of my favorite parts about this book was how realistic the situations were. There was no real 'insta-love', the protagonist didn't necessarily find the love of her life and live happily ever after in the end at only 21 years old, and the reader is shown that life isn't all sugar and biscuits, you can get an STD after giving a blow-job one time. 

Another thing I loved about this book is that unlike basically every book/movie/TV show ever, this book doesn't make losing your virginity seem like an exciting and perfect experience. It shows it how it is- an awkward, frightening, messy and embarrassing experience, which I think is super unique and another really relatable aspect that I think many readers will be able to connect to. 

Also, as a young woman, also in college, who often struggles with the issue of how to not look like an ogre and not come off as a completely dull humanoid plant, I found this book incredibly relatable, and at risk of not getting too personal and TMI, many of the thoughts that Ellie had, I've had as well, and it was such a relief to find a metaphorical book-version of my mind (well, an almost version- I don't share all of Ellie's ideas). 

I also think that this book will be an important one in women's literature, empowering young women to think of themselves and their relationships in a new light, especially for women like myself who never necessarily realised that we should view the world in this light. I mean, I'm not super clear on feminism, but I feel like this book is exactly what feminists are looking for- actually, I think this book is exactly what any young woman trying to figure herself out is look for.

So, I give this book my stamp of approval, and recommend it to any and all, women and men alike (Come on guys, it wouldn't hurt to see just what us girls go through to impress you). 

Until next time,
xox



No comments:

Post a Comment