Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Review #3- Looking for Alaska by John Green

*Goodreads Page*

Goodreads synopsis- Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.


Okay, let me just say that although this is only my second ever John Green novel, I'm fully prepared to purchase every last one of his books! Looking for Alaska was amazing! It wasn't what I expected it to be- it ended up being sadder than I thought, but still AMAZING all the same. 

So, I usually don't like know much about the books I read before I get into them, only because I like to be surprised. The only thing I let myself know is the synopsis on the back of the book. I think this is why I was expecting a nice little love story of some kind- and it was, to a point. I had no idea, however, the tragedy I find in this book. It came out of left field, and I didn't even realize what was going to happen until literally right before it happened. Then I found myself sitting here whispering, "Shit, no, no, no! This isn't happening!" But, even though I was super upset about the tragedy, I loved how John Green worked his characters through it, not only giving them closure, but also giving me closure.

In short, I really freaking loved this book and you should go read it. Now. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment